So, you have worked out with us, and now want to keep up the training at home? Good idea!
We have partnered with Hatashita, providers of Martial Arts products in Canada for over 60 years, to bring you some of the equipment that we use in the program:
- The Hatashita ash Bo staff is used in for wrist strength and flexibility. Although you would normally use a Bo staff that is approximately the same height as you are, keep in mind how high your ceiling is before buying! For lightness, we recommend a tapered Bo – but who wants lightness?
- In the Power Golf Fitness program, we often use Cage Fitness Bags…but they’re not cheap! The 20lb Ultimate Conditioning Bag will provide similar performance at a much more reasonable price.
- While working with Cage Fitness Bags, we did some striking with the hand. You could use either the MMA Style Gloves or a Boxing/Sparring Glove style. The MMA style makes it easier to lift the bag by its handles – so they’re often a slightly better choice.
- Everyone needs a quality, easy-to-hold medicine ball – and we use them for core, balance and arm work. TKO makes good, long-lasting ones – make sure you get the weight(s) you need!
- Speaking of balance, it’s a key component of the golf swing. Although we use them more in 1-on-1 sessions (as opposed to dojo work) a balance board is a necessity!
- Another component of our 1-on-1 programs is the extensive use of a Swiss ball/Stability Ball/Exercise Ball. There are various sizes depending on your height – so get one that works for you (6’2″ or taller = 75cm; 5’6″ to 6’1″ = 65cm; 5’0″ to 5’5″ = 55cm; 4’6″ to 4’11” = 45cm)
- Finally, if you have no room for weights, Resistance Bands come in different “levels”, and are easy to put away when you’re not using them (and keep one in your golf bag to warm-up before a round!)
Home training will rarely replace weight-lifting or group classes such as jiu-jitsu, karate, kickboxing, MMA – or of course our MMA for Golf Bootcamps or 1-on-1 Training! However, it can help you to prepare for (or recover from) your round of golf, and can assist in maintaining the conditioning you worked so hard to gain!